Dr. Naresh Kumar Trehan is a renowned cardiovascular and cardiothoracic surgeon. At present, Dr. Naresh Trehan is the Chairman and Managing Director, Medanta - The Medicity a multi-super speaciality Institute which matches the highest standards of healthcare delivery across the world at an affordable cost. Founded by eminent cardiac surgeon Dr Naresh Trehan Medanta is spread across 43 acres which also includes a research center, medical and nursing school; it has over 1250 beds with 45 operation theatres catering to over 20 specialties. Medanta houses six centers of excellence which provides medical intelligentsia, cutting–edge technology, state of the art infrastructure with highly integrated and comprehensive information system.
Prior to being at Medanta, Dr Naresh Trehan was a Senior Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeon at Apollo Hospitals New Delhi from 2007 - 2009. Dr. Trehan was the Executive Director and Chief Cardiovascular Surgeon of the Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre for 20 years. He graduated from King George's Medical College, Lucknow and completed his internship at Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi. He subsequently obtained a diplomat from the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Cardiothoracic Surgery in the United States at New York University Medical Center. After obtaining his degrees, Dr. Trehan was in private practice at N.Y.U.Medical Center from 1979 to 1988, when he returned to India to set up Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre. Dr. Trehan has received many prestigious awards, including the Padma Shree and the Padma Bhushan Award, by the Government of India.
1. PADMA BHUSHAN AWARD by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Medicine in 2001.
2. PADMASHRI AWARD by President of India in recognition of distinguished service in the field of Surgery in 1991.
3. Doctor of Science Honoris Causa at the "18th Convocation of the Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi" in March 1996, for recognition of his attainment and position of eminence and contributions made by him for the country and the people of India.
4. Doctor of Science Honoris Causa is conferred on the occasion of the convocation of the Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur, 4th March 2004.
5. Honorary Fellow Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Melbourne, Australia in 2002.
6. Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Award in the services category for yeoman services to the healthcare industry.
7. Doctor of Science, being conferred by King George’s Medical University, Lucknow, on 22nd Janaury’2007.
Over 350 Scientific Publications.
Edited the book, “New Developments in Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery”